I totally did not wait until the last minute to figure out a Halloween costume…eh—okay, so I did. Don’t give me that look! Do you have any idea how hard it is to not only find myself an awesome costume on a budget, but find one for my boyfriend as well?! I had to spend a month to convince him to dress up with me (“no costume, no candy!”).
So in every sense of the title, here’s my ways to be Cheap, Geeky, and Anonymous.
- Sounds easy enough to pull off, right? Basically, stick with tan, white, or black (iffy) clothing. Try for leather, and find a vest and/or trench coat. Lots of belts, gold/silver jewelry (that doesn’t look too expensive). Ladies, if you have a matching one, wear a corset and lots of skirts. Bonus if you have steampunk goggles!
- Superhero’s Secret Identity
- This couldn’t be easier. Clark Kent=blue suit, dorky glasses, slicked-back hair. If you want, carry around a newspaper, journalists’ memo pad, and pen. Bruce Wayne=black suit/tuxedo, slicked-back hair. Bonus if you have someone to play a “bimbo”! Tony Stark would be similar to Bruce Wayne. Peter Parker=easygoing clothes, laid-back, cocky. Carry around a camera for bonus points. These can easily be matched up with a Lois Lane, Selina Kyle, and Mary Jane. You can also take a comedic spin on some of these; wear a Superman shirt under Clark Kent’s suit, and excessively reveal it whenever someone “might” be in trouble.
- Book/Movie/Game Character
- I’m not talking about Master Chief, Voldemort, or Batman. You can pull of a simple costume by using a character from your favorite novel, movie, or video game. For example, a hobbit from Lord of the Rings. Robe, fake hair on the feet, and you’re done. Doesn’t have to be more complicated than that! Same can apply for a Hogwarts witch/wizard; get a robe and sew one of the House badges on (you can find them for cheap in a lot of craft stores). Not everyone might know what your costume is if you go with an obscure novel or movie, but you’ll feel cool. Trust me.
Have any other cheap and geeky ideas for Halloween? What are you going as?